Monday, April 26, 2010

It's called "Being a Teacher"...

Maybe I've forgotten I call this blog "Being a Teacher." Maybe I'm distracted with more exciting things in my life. Maybe I'll try to show that the wedding isn't the only thing I think about these days.... maybe.

Speaking of the wedding, I got the vases this weekend. Michelle and I spent some quality time at IKEA and filled up a cart with vases. Then we had to figure out how we were going to fit them in her car (we had the boys with us). When we got to her house we moved them into the garage... Sunday I had to transfer them to Karen J's car for the ride home. Today I had to transfer them to my car to come the rest of the way home (we didn't feel like doing it last night at 11:20 when we were pulling in to town). Finally this afternoon my brother Peter helped me bring them in the house. I found a spot for them and they're not moving! They're staying put until July. I'm making a big deal out of this, but it was a lot of vases!! Luckily I had help every step of the way.
No dress yet... I'm being patient. (Sort of.)

During the day I'm still a teacher :) The countdown is on: 15 days left for seniors and 24+exams for the rest of us! Year 2 is almost over ~ yea! We're making a big change for next year - we'll have block scheduling (5 different 77-minute classes per day) and trimesters. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of work but worth it in the end. One thing I'm excited about is a new class I get to teach: Wars in American History. I've started planning it a little and it's going to be a lot of fun!



Speaking of wars, the students made projects when we were studying the Vietnam War. This was one of them. I thought it was pretty creative. Can you tell what it is?

Some of my students have been realizing lately that I have a life outside of school. One (senior) student the other day told me "I saw you in Wal-Mart with your friends and you were laughing. It seemed really strange." Me: "The laugh?" Him: "No, that you have a life outside of school."
Someone else: "Miss H, we decided you must have a life besides being a teacher because you're engaged."
Another student: "Does your fiance like econ? Is that what you talk about with him in your free time?" (Ummm, yeah, that's exactly what we like to talk about... the US's free trade/tariff policies.)

In World History today a student asked why I have dry-erase markers on the ledge of my (green) chalkboard. I told her that they actually write really well on the green board, and you just have to use a wet cloth to erase it. I had a whole class looking at me with strange expressions on their faces and saying things like "whoa, that's cool! I've never heard of that before..."
I had to explain to them that I was joking and that the markers were for the white sticky easel paper I use sometimes over the board if I want to save something. I think I don't joke around with them enough because they didn't really know what to think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did read this whole post the other day...and there was no photo...I see it now! hehehe and I've heard you talk about the free trade and stuff with D...