Sunday, August 15, 2010

Emotional Weekend

It's been a rollercoaster of a weekend to say the least.

Thursday was as close as you can imagine to a perfect day. Family, free time, company, beautiful weather, beautiful place, enough activity to feel energized, boating, water skiing, tubing, delicious food, sauna and swimming.... and an amazing fireworks show to top it off. We were together with Greta's family, celebrating and anticipating (brother) David and Greta's upcoming wedding (Saturday!).
Many times that day I looked over at (my husband) Dave and asked if life really was that good, if it could get any better.

It didn't last.

Friday morning my dad and brothers went to the golf course and a little while later I got a phone call that they brought my dad to the Emergency Room and there would be more details later. We went to the hospital to see him and found out some of what was going on... more people showed up... results came in... plans were made to fly him to the best neurology center in the state ASAP... lots of hugs, tears, prayers, phone calls to family members.... more visitors... and then goodbye to my dad and mom. An ambulance picked them up to bring them to the airport.

Meanwhile, David and Greta's wedding festivities. Rehearsal went great, dinner was lots of fun, followed by lots of laughs at her party. I hear his party was lots of fun too. In the midst of this we were glued to our cellphones to make sure we didn't miss out on an update.

Saturday morning and no new news but at that point it was good news.

The wedding on Saturday was beautiful and fun! Much of it was bittersweet because I kept looking for my mom and dad. I know it was really really tough for them to not be there. Everyone there was so supportive; we all really felt the love and support from our family and friends there.
Dave (my husband) video-taped the wedding. That was my dad's one request as he was being brought to the ambulance.

Most of us drove to see mom and dad today. He's looking great! It's a subarachnoid hemorrhage and he'll be here for at least fourteen days. The first 14 days after this have high risks so they have to monitor him very closely. They're doing everything they can to help him so we are hoping and praying for a full recovery within the next few weeks.

Thank you to everyone for your support, love, and prayers. Continue to keep us in your prayers.


Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Oh my goodness!! Life strikes at the craziest of times. So sorry that your dad and mom had to miss the wedding,but thankful they are in good hands. Sending prayers to you and your family!

Sharyn said...

So many many thoughts and prayers - I think everyone I came in contact with had their mind and heart out to the bride and groom and your family. Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.

Lori said...

Wow, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!

Sarah said...

Karen, you have all been on my mind so much in the past few days. Prayers that things continue to go in the right direction!!

juli said...

Wow, reading that does describe the emotional rollercoaster you've all been through. So glad to hear he's doing okay. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Anna said...

More of a roller coaster I can't imagine. Glad the news so far is good-thoughts and prayers coming your way.