Monday, April 27, 2009

Still learning!

Today was an unbelievable day*!

*For the part of me that's a teacher... for more info, read on.

I went to a World History and Geography workshop and out of my 8 (yeah, 8 -- I think I'm overloaded!) professional development days this year, this was definitely the best.
  • I got tons of free stuff for my classroom. Mostly lesson plans, something that is really valuable to me :)
  • I'm very excited to try some new things!
  • I got help with something I've been trying to figure out in my head since about January...
  • I have a new method to try with my students that I think is going to make me a better teacher
  • It was a hands-on workshop and it felt really good to have to think that hard - to do all of the activities that I'm going to make my students do. I think that's why I'm so excited about it. I tried it and loved it and it's not about memorizing or having lots of prior knowledge. It's just about working really hard and making connections. So it's for all students, not just the ones who love history or are really good at it. I'M PUMPED to try it!! I'm always trying to find new ways to relate the material and have the students do hands-on learning (rather than having them sit there just listening to me and taking notes. Too much of that is boring for me and them.)...
  • I also got some information about workshops this summer that include graduate credits - something I'm actively pursuing and have to get figured out ASAP!

No comments: