Saturday, August 1, 2009

Some more from vacation

Here are some from the rest of the Maine part of our vacation. As I was looking through, I realized I don't have a whole lot of them because sometimes we'd take turns taking pictures. Eventually we're going to get each other's pictures, but for now here are some of mine.

The Portland Head Light, commissioned in 1791 by George Washington himself. This was the one place Liz had to go on our trip and she had a couple of freak out moments when we got there. She had this idea in her mind what it looked like and it looked nothing like that. She kept saying I really don't think this is it. Shoot Karen, if this isn't it, where is it?
Well, we walked around a little and got a different view (the ones above) and she realized that it was, in fact, the one she wanted to see. Whew! It almost looks like just another lighthouse from some other views , but there's just something about it when you see it out on the rocks with the waves crashing in.

We met a local storyteller and historian at the Portland Head Light and ended up talking to him for about half an hour. He was pretty excited to hear I'm a history teacher and gave me some interesting things to add to some of my lessons - especially World War II. We ended up buying a cd with stories of haunted Maine lighthouses and a book with some stories about the Portland/Kennebunkport/York area.


There was a canon and this bell at the fort near the lighthouse, both used there during the Revolution.

Part of the fort was a pretty cool mansion from the 1700s that is in disarray. It only has the original stone walls left (no windows, floors, roof) but this sweet wall was part of the driveway leading up to the mansion.


Another fort in Portland. I think we saw three different ones.


World War II Victory Ship Monument. When I teach World War II, we talk about victory ships and the impact they had on the war so it was really cool to visit one of the places where they made these ships. I took lots of pictures to add to my slides for when I teach World War II :)

Checking out the harbor in Portland one last time before we got back on the road.

We stayed with Bob and Maria on our way to Maine, then on our way back down we met them in Boston for dinner. They took us to a neat restaurant, Fire + Ice. If you're ever in Cambridge, I highly recommend it! Thanks Bob and Maria for bringing us there!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Can't wait to get your photos! I was a little freaked out about that lighthouse...by the way I was sitting at my kitchen table the other day and I have a beautiful detailed map of Portland with no fold. hehehe oops!